Made from fleece this snowman costume is a quick and easy sew! Throw it on over a brown tee and you’re all set!
Let’s get started!
I have a FREE pattern for the snowman body available for you in size 6-12 mos. Download it here
If you would like to make this costume in other sizes I recommend using a t-shirt as your starting point for the pattern. The snowman body is shaped just like a tee through the shoulders and arm openings and then you want to make a bubble shape that will end near the knee. The fit is very forgiving on this so don’t stress about getting it perfect. This same costume fits my 5 month old and my 2 year old
You will also need:
- Snow Day Hat & Mittens pattern (or similar) as the starting point for the hat
- 1 yard white fleece (remember this is for the 6-12 mos. You may need more fabric for other sizes)
- 1/8 yard orange fleece for the nose
- Black and Brown felt for embellishing
- 1/4″ Elastic
- Velcro if your hat has a chin strap
- White Zipper (mine was 9″)
Time to sew! Please keep in mind this is a costume and I sewed the entire thing in 2 hours. Some edges are unfinished since fleece doesn’t fray and personally I don’t mind the look. I’m all about quick and easy for something that won’t be worn very many times
3. Fold the top ends of the zipper tape down and tack them down
4. Cut out three black felt circles for buttons and topstitch them to one of the front pieces. Lay the embellished front on top of your 2nd front piece. Sew the layers together around the neck, one arm opening, one side seam and the bottom edge. Sew 2 rows of stitching 1/2″ apart from each other between the 1st and 2nd buttons to create a channel for your elastic.
8. I didn’t get a close-up photo of this step but to gather in the bottom edge a bit I added some 1/4″ elastic to the bottom edge. Just place your elastic on the bottom edge on the wrong side of the fabric and then sew in place with a zig-zag stitch stretching the elastic as you go and it will gather all on it’s own
Time for the head! You’ll need a basic hat pattern to start with. I used the Snow Day Hat & Mittens
1. Sew 2 of your hat body pieces together (I have all 4 sewn together at this point but ignore that and just do 2). Cut out 2 brown eyebrows and your eyes from black and white felt (or fleece). Topstitch onto the face making sure you leave room for the nose
3. Position the nose below the eyes and sew to the face. Stop when you have 1/2″ or so left to do and finish stuffing with polyfil. I found this easiest to sew using my zipper foot with the needle moved all the way over to the left.
4. Cut 3 twigs from brown felt for the “hair”. Lay the twigs out on top of another piece of brown felt, topstitch together and then cut out. This is much easier than trying to sew 2 tiny pieces together.
6. Before sewing the hat band pieces together in step 8 I added trimmed down the band a bit in front and added a tooth. Once the hat was complete I added a smile and it was done!
I hope you have fun sewing up a snowman!