Welcome to Day 3 of the Pajamas Sew Along! Today we’re going to learn how to sew a waistband the easy way!
How to sew a waistband? I really hate thread elastic through casings and I find it sometimes hard to keep your stitching line perfectly straight on a casing so I do my waistbands this way instead and it’s so much easier! And as an added bonus the elastic can’t roll and twist inside the casing!
1. Cut your elastic to 1-2″ smaller than your child’s waist measurement. Overlap the ends 1/2″ and sew together.
2. Mark the elastic and pants waistline in quarters. I just use pins.
3. Slide the elastic over the wrong side of the pants and match up your marked points.
4. Stretch the elastic to fit and sew the elastic to the top edge of the pants with a serger or zig-zag stitch. This finishes the fabric edge and attaches the elastic all in one quick step
5. Now fold the waistline over once so the elastic is covered. Stretch the elastic out again so the fabric is laying nice and smooth and topstitch along the bottom of the elastic with a zig-zag stitch, double needle, etc. You want your stitches to stretch with the elastic so don’t use a straight stitch. I like to slip a tag in at the back so it’s easy to put them on correctly
And you’re done! Now you know how to sew a waistband.
Now throw them on a happy kid and admire your work!
No more chilly feet and she loves the twirl factor!
Love these kiddos in their snuggly jammies! Baby Levi was asleep during this shoot so he missed out on the group shot 🙂
And yes Will is trying to knock her out of the photo. Just keepin’ it real…