For Will’s party this year I made him a dump truck birthday cake. Not just any old cake either…a dump truck dirt cake!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chocolate Cake (I just used a box mix)
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cup cool whip
- 2 packages (3.4 oz) of cook and serve chocolate pudding (or instant if you prefer)
- Oreo cookies (get chocolate filling for an extra dirty cake)
1. Bake your chocolate cake and let it cool. Fill the bottom of your truck bed with a layer of cake. I only used about 1/2 my cake. Rather than trying to completely sanitize the truck bed I just wrapped it in plastic wrap which also made for easy clean-up later
2. Beat the cream cheese and cool whip until smooth. You can add additional cool whip if you’d like.
3. Cook your pudding, let it cool and discard the skin on top. If you used instant just mix it up and you’re ready to go. Mix half of the pudding into the cool whip mixture. You will now have light brown mud and dark brown mud ready to add to your cake. Add a layer of each on top of the cake. You should have some left for at least one more layer.
4. Crush your oreo cookies or run them through the food processor. I did around 6-10 cookies for each dirt layer.
5. Add the dirt on top of the cake and then repeat with additional mud and dirt layers. You could also add another layer of cake if you’d like. I did 1 layer of cake followed by my mud, dirt, mud and more dirt. My cake was the perfect amount for our family get-together with 5 adults and 2 kids. For a larger party I would recommend layering the rest of your cake in there to stretch it a bit further. It’s a very rich cake so a little goes a long way 🙂