We just found little miss a play kitchen at a yard sale so I made her a little oven mitt to go with it
Safety first! You wouldn’t want to get burned by your microwave after all 🙂
and when she’s done playing she can hang it up- not that she ever does, but Mommy can dream 🙂
1. To get started cut out 2 oven mitts in a print and 2 in terry cloth, flannel, etc. for the lining. The pattern is really just an over-sized mitten. Make sure you remember your seam allowance so you have enough room in the thumb area.
2. Line up an outer piece with a lining with wrong sides together. Then trim a little bit off the bottom of the lining and fold the outer piece over to give you a finished edge- if you’re using a woven fabric you’ll want to fold over twice so it doesn’t fray.
3. Next quilt the 2 layers together so it looks just like a real oven mitt. I sewed about 4-5 diagonal lines in each direction with about 1″ between each row.
4. If you want a loop for hanging sew a little fabric tube and then turn it right side out with a safety pin. Or… grab a piece of ribbon.
5. With right sides together line up the 2 oven mitt halves then slide the loop in between the 2 layers with the tail ends hanging out. Sew all the way around the edge. Clip your seam allowance between the finger area and thumb area so it will lay flat.