Make sure your little girl is as sweet as can be in this darling layered dress
With a lovely ruffled flower & petal ties
- Fabric for top of dress & skirt lining: about 1 yd. total for a 1 year old
- Fabric scraps for layers
1. Cut out your dress top and skirt lining using a dress as a template
2. You will also need some petal ties and fabric strips for each layer. The strips should overlap about 1″ and have enough room to be hemmed- about 1/2″. Lay each strip out on the skirt lining and cut to fit, layering as you go. The bodice and ties are lined, so you need 2 fronts, 2 backs, & 8 ties.
3. With right sides together sew the ties to the bodice at the shoulder. Repeat with the bodice lining
4. With right sides together sew the bodice front to the lining, leaving the sides and bottom open. Repeat with bodice back. Turn right side out. ***The easiest way to do this is to start with the ties and shove them back through using a crochet hook or the end of a pen
5. With right sides together sew the bodice front to the bodice back along the side seams. The 2 linings will match up and the 2 outer pieces will match up.
6. Hem the long edge of each of your layer pieces
7. Sew each layer to the skirt lining starting with the top piece & working your way down. Make sure each layer overlaps slightly and that the front will line up with the back
8. Slip the bodice over the skirt with right sides together. Sew the bodice to the skirt leaving the lining free.
9. Tuck the skirt seams up inside the lining and fold the lining edge inwards. Hand stitch down or top stitch from the other side (**sorry- no picture for this step).
10. Want to make a sweet ruffly flower? I hope you do:) See instructions here