I love real letters! And my kids love writing letters too. Well, actually my older son is the only one who knows how to write, my two girls can only draw a few doodles. They love to play that they are “writing” letters one to the others. They used to ask for paper envelopes but they were spending so many at some point that I had to find some reusable ones. So I made them a few out of… fabric! They were so excited! Now that Valentines is fast approaching I thought I would share with you this quick valentine fabric envelopes tutorial..
You and your kids can use them to make a special one-of-a-kind Valentine!
You will need:
- A few scraps of fabric (minimum of 5” x 11”)
- Matching thread
- Buttons, snaps or hook & loop tape
- Embellishments, pom-pom trim, ric-rac, etc.
How to make it:
1. Cut 1 rectangle out of two different fabrics. Find the middle of the upper edge and cut the upper corners as to make it a triangle (as you see on image).
Optional: If you want the envelopes to be a bit sturdy then cut 1 rectangle of fusible interfacing and press it to one of the fabric pieces.
2. Sew both pieces right sides together with a 1/4” seam allowance. Make sure to leave a 2 inches gap. Clip corners. Turn inside out through the gap. Press. (Note: Don’t worry about the gap, it will be closed later on.)
Optional: If you want to add some trim or ric-rac you have to stitch it to one of the pieces (on the right side) before you sew both envelope pieces together.
Note: Finished size for these envelopes is 4.5” x 3.5”. If you want them to be bigger then cut the fabric to your desired finished size plus 0.5” for seam allowances.
4. Sew two buttons and attach a string, or use some snaps to keep the envelope closed. You can also sew hook & loop tape.
5. Fill the envelope with a love letter, a cute kids drawing, or some candy.
You’re done. Happy Valentines!
This project can be used for other seasons and purposes. You can actually send a real letter on one of these fabric envelopes – can you imagine the recipients surprise? They are also perfect as wedding favors or for a fancy dinner party invitation! You can also make these a bit bigger and used them as a gift wrap.
If you give them a go please share with us in Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop”s Facebook page. We would love to see them!