Ready to sew a swimsuit? On Monday we discussed swimsuit patterns and today we’re talking about where to buy swimsuit fabric and supplies! The swimsuit sew along kicks off the 1st week of June so now is a great time to get your supplies ordered
*All information is current as of May 2014. Availability and pricing may change at anytime and may vary from store to store
Check your pattern to see what supplies you will need and then browse the list of stores below and do some shopping
1. 4-way stretch nylon or lycra blends (swim fabric): This fabric feels just like a suit you’d pick up at the store. It stretches in all directions and is cool and slippery to the touch. This is what you’ll use for any of the girls suits, the Aloha Burn Blocker, Hang Ten Rash Guard and the Monaco Swim Trunks
2. Swimsuit Lining: Lightweight poly blend with 4 way stretch. Generally comes in white, nude or black
3. Power Mesh: Lightweight and stretchy poly blend. Can be used for the optional lining in boys board shorts
4. Swimsuit Elastic: Comes in varying widths and is either clear or cotton. Swimsuit elastic is designed to stand-up to saltwater and chlorine without becoming brittle. You can use regular elastic instead just make sure to rinse the suit out after each use. I typically use regular elastic for boys shorts since it’s hard to find swimsuit elastic in wider widths.
5. Board Short Fabric/Micro Fiber: Polyester woven fabric. Dries quickly and is perfect for boys board shorts.
Brick & Mortar Stores
1. Joann Fabrics: You’ll find the swim fabric, swimsuit lining and power mesh in the dancewear/performance section. Price is $16.99/yard for the 4-way stretch fabrics but you can use a coupon. Online the only options are solids but my store also carries a few prints. From my experience I’ve found the swim fabric to be a bit slinkier and harder to work with than others I’ve used. They also carry swimsuit elastic.
2. Hancock Fabrics: We don’t have a Hancocks so I’ve never been but I know they do carry swim fabric. Price is also $16.99/yard and you can use coupons. Online they have solids listed and one print but I know they carry more selection in some stores. They also carry swimsuit lining and swimsuit elastic. I couldn’t find it online but I have heard that they carry board shorts fabric .
3. Local Stores: Call around as you never know what you might find
1. The Fabric Fairy: This is my go-to for swim fabrics. Tons of prints and solids to choose from for both girls and boys. Prices range from $8-11/yard and you can also order 1/2 yard cuts. Shipping is flat rate ($5 for orders up to $25, $8 for orders up to $50). All of the fabrics I’ve used from here have been nice and thick and easy to work with.
They also carry the largest selection of board shorts fabrics that I’ve seen. Lots of fun prints and coordinating solids. Prices are $8-10/yard and you can order 1/2 yard cuts.
Fabric Fairy also has swimsuit lining and swimsuit elastic so it’s a great option for one-stop shopping
2. Girl Charlee: The selection is a bit limited and they aren’t always in stock but they have some really cute swim fabrics. Pricing is $9.25/yard. I did notice that one of the fabric uses is noted as “swimswear with a lining” so it might be on the thin side. I’ve never ordered it so I can’t vouch for that but it’s something to be aware of.
3. Fabric.com: Selection is decent sized for swim fabrics and prices start as low as $4-5/yard for sale items. They also carry swimwear elastic.
4. Spandex World: Tons of swim fabrics to choose from. Price is a bit steeper at $14/yard for most prints
5. Rockywoods: Selection is limited but they do carry swim fabrics with UPF protection, board shorts fabric, and power mesh (prices range from $7-11/yard).
6. Seattle Fabrics: Lots of solids to choose from for swim fabrics (Italian Nylon/Lycra $14.75/yard) and they also carry power mesh and board shorts fabric (micro suede polyester)
7. Purple Seamstress: Selection comes and goes but she does have some swim fabrics for $10-12/yard
8. Amazon : Surprisingly good selection of swim fabrics and board shorts fabrics and a lot of it offers UPF protection. You can also find swimsuit elastic, power mesh, and swimsuit lining. However most of these items are sold through Amazon’s partners so you will probably end up paying separate shipping if you are ordering a variety of items.