I love giving handmade gifts – it just has that extra bit of love:)
With this free hobo bag tutorial you can make the perfect gift in only takes 10 steps!
You’ll love it so much you might end up with 2:)
It even looks nice and pretty on the inside:) And has a pocket to help declutter your gear
Home Decor or other heavy fabric: I used a thrifted PB pillow sham
Fabric for the liner: I used twill
1. Cut out your pieces.
Body (x2): 18×15″
Facing (x2): 18 x 4″
Body (x2): 18 x 12″
2. Let’s get the pocket ready to go. With right sides together (RST) sew the outer pocket to it’s liner around all the edges leaving a 2″ gap at the top
3. Turn the pocket right side, tuck the raw edges in and press flat. Topstitch across the top edge.
4. With RST sew the strap to it’s liner along the 2 long edges. Turn right side out and then topstitch along the 2 long edges
5. With RST sew a strip of facing to each body piece of the liner
6. Add the magnetic snap to the right side of the facing (make sure it’s at least 1″ down from the top edge ) and topstitch the pocket to the liner along the bottom and 2 sides. To make a pocket with compartments you can topstitch a line down the middle and turn it into 2 pockets.
7. With RST sew the 2 outer bag pieces together along the 2 sides (shorter dimension) and the bottom edge. Repeat with the liner.
8. If you want your bag to have a little width at the bottom fold each corner like you’re wrapping a present and then sew across it perpendicular to the bottom seam line. Your bag and liner should be inside out when you do this step. My stitch line going across each corner was 3.5″
View from the right side
9. With right sides together slide the outer bag and liner inside each other and then slide the strap inbetween the layers so the raw edges stick out at the side seams. The right side of the strap should be facing the right side of the outer bag.Sew around the top edge of the bag leaving a 4″ gap for turning.
***Make sure your strap isn’t twisted***
10. Turn the bag right side out, tuck in the raw edges and topstitch along the entire top edge